We came across this great recipe for low-fat blueberry, lemon, and coconut squares on the Babble’s blog. We’ve made a few tweaks (adding or swapping almonds for coconut), and are sure this recipe will be a crowd pleaser—no belt-loosening required!
Blueberry, Lemon, and Coconut Bars – Makes 16 bars.
Ingredients for Base:
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar or Stevia in the Raw
- 1 scant cup unbleached all-purpose or whole wheat flour – we prefer whole wheat!
- Pinch of salt
Ingredients for Topping:
- 1 cup sugar or Stevia In The Raw
- 2 Tbsp. unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen (but do not thaw!) blueberries, raspberries or cranberries. Fresh and in-season is always preferred!
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut, sweetened or unsweetened
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds (optional)—if you aren’t a coconut fan, or just like almonds!
- Confectioners’ sugar for sprinkling (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the butter and sugar until creamy. Add flour and salt and stir until well combined and crumbly.
- Press the mixture into the bottom of an 8” x 8” pan that has been sprayed with nonstick spray or has been lightly greased. Bake for 8-10 minutes, until just barely golden around the edges.
- To make the topping, combine the sugar, flour, baking powder and salt in the same bowl. Then add the egg, egg white and lemon juice and stir until well blended and smooth.
- Sprinkle the berries and coconut (0r almonds if you aren’t a coconut fan… or a mixture of both) evenly over the base, and pour the lemon filling over top. Bake for 30 minutes, until golden and set. Cool completely in the pan on a wire rack before cutting or freezing. If you like, sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar before serving.
Per square (without almonds): 130 calories, 3.3 g fat (1.9 g saturated fat, 1 g monounsaturated fat, 0.2 g polyunsaturated fat), 24 g carbohydrates, 21 mg cholesterol, 1.6 g protein, 0.7 g fiber. 23% calories from fat