It’s been a little while since we posted some fun crafting ideas, so here is one that we’ve done before! All the materials are super cheap, and all it takes is a little time. If you wanted to make this a party craft, make the beads ahead of time, then give the kids some paint and string to create their own unique jewelry!
- Old newspaper
- Craft paint
- Sealant such as Mod Podge or varnish
- String or ribbon for creating a necklace
- Gather old newspaper, shred into small pieces and place in a large stock pot and pour enough boiling water in the pot to cover the newspaper.
- Let sit for one hour stirring the paper to help break it down.
- Drain the water as much as possible.
- Add enough glue to the paper to keep the beads together while drying (Elmer’s glue works great).
- Roll the paper into round balls (any size your heart desires) and squeeze out the excess water.
- Let them dry for a few days (rolling them every few hours) until they are dry. It took my beads about 2 or 3 days to be totally dry.
- Sand each dry bead to smooth some of the edges and drill a small hole through the center of the bead. This is a good stopping point if you want to use the craft as a party activity.
- Paint the beads with craft paint, then seal with Mod Podge or another sealant.
- When dry, string the beads onto ribbon or pretty string to create an awesome necklace!
We love this affordable and eco-friendly craft idea! What do you think?