This adorable recipe comes from my boyfriend’s mother, and I made it for his college graduation party this past weekend. It was one of the few requests he had for the party menu, (as the colorful squares brought back fond memories of family gatherings as a child :)). These pretty and yummy little squares would be great for a summer birthday bash or a BBQ! It’s pretty simple, just takes a little patience to let the jello set!
- 2 envelopes of Knox gelatin
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1- 12oz. can evaporated milk
- 4 flavors Jello – small boxes (such as: lemon,orange,lime and strawberry)
- 1 cup of boiling water for each of the boxes of Jello – 4 cup total
- Dissolve together Knox gelatin and 1 cup of boiling water. Mix together the cold water,sugar and milk. Add dissolved gelatin. Set the mixture aside.
- To each box of Jello add 1 c. hot water. Set aside.
Construct the layers! Use a large rectangular pan for thinner layers, or a smaller pan for thicker layers.
Pour 1 flavored Jello into pan for first layer. Gel in your fridge then add 1 c. of milk mixture for second layer. Allow the milk mixture to gel, then another flavored layer.
Continue alternating, ending with flavored Jello. Each layer is about 1 c. of liquid.
When completely gelled, cut into cubes.
Note: Since the jello is concentrated it will tend to set at room temperature if you let them sit out for a long time.