In honor of Independence Day, we’ve got another adorable recipe to celebrate with! This Red, White, & Blue Strawberry Shortcake hails from All Recipes, but we’ve added a few twists, and suggested some ingredients we like to help you get ready for your 4th of July Celebrations.
- 1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix – we like Cherrybrook Kitchen’s Yellow Cake Mix with organic and natural ingredients. They have a gluten free version too—about $2.80 a box for regular mix, and $5 a box for GF mix!
- 1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed – give Trader Joe’s House Whip a try for only $1.99!
- 1 pint blueberries, rinsed and drained – organic and local is best. Check your local farmers market if you have one!
- 2 pints fresh strawberries, rinsed and sliced – same as the blueberries, organic and local is your best bet!
- Prepare the yellow cake according to package directions and bake in a 9×13 inch pan. Allow cake to cool completely.
- Once the cake has cooled, frost it with the whipped topping. Place blueberries in a square in the corner, and arrange sliced strawberries as stripes to make an American flag. Chill until serving.
- Some people have sliced the cake midways (to create two layers) and sandwiched additional whip, or strawberry glaze, blueberries, and strawberries in the middle layer. More fruit is always a good option. Simply double the amount of whip and fruit you buy!
- Replace whip with LF or FF version for a lighter dessert.
- Swap yellow cake for chocolate or strawberry cake mix!
What are your plans for the 4th?