So at Make A Birthday Wish we love cupcakes, and today we’ve got a recipe we found on All Recipes to share with all of you that is a balance of sweet and salty and reminds us of a cupcake version of Voodoo Donuts famous Bacon Maple Bar donuts (which we are seriously craving)! So put aside your skepticism and give chocolate bacon cupcakes a try!
- 12 slices bacon
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups white sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup cold, strong, brewed coffee
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder, for dusting
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- In a large, deep skillet cook the bacon over medium-high heat until evenly brown. Using paper towels drain and remove excess oil from the bacon, crumble and set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, 3/4 cup cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Make a well in the center and pour in the eggs, coffee, buttermilk and oil. Stir just until blended (careful not to over mix).
- Mix in 3/4 of the bacon, reserving the rest for garnish. Spoon the batter into the prepared cups, dividing evenly.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the tops spring back when lightly pressed, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Cool in the pan set over a wire rack. When cool, arrange the cupcakes on a serving platter.
- Frost with your favorite chocolate frosting and sprinkle reserved bacon crumbles on top. Dust with additional cocoa powder.
We are excited to indulge our donut craving with these cupcakes! What do you think about recipes that mix sweet and salty?