Today we’ve got a recipe for healthy and delicious homemade hummus that will give you lots of options to customize based on your families topping preference. It makes a great snack to enjoy during a party, football game, or even just at lunch time. So forget about the store-bought stuff and give this homemade version a try!
- 1 (19 ounce) can garbanzo beans, or 2 cups cooked
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Dash of nutmeg
- black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Variations: Add one, or a combination of these
- 2 cloves chopped garlic (optional)
- 2 diced roasted red peppers (optional)
- 1-2 tbsp diced jalapeños (optional)
- Pine nuts (for garnish)
- In a blender combine all the ingredients and blend until creamy or smooth. You can add any of the variations to the blender or top the basic hummus recipe with one or all of them depending on what flavor you are looking for. Place the hummus in a bowl or glass container with a lid (if you intend to store it).
- Garnish the hummus with pepper, pine nuts, and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Serve with veggies, pita, pretzels, tortilla chips, or use a sandwich spread.
How do you like your hummus: garlicy, spicy, or plain?