Fruit & Nut Granola Cookie Bites – Makes About 30 Cookies
- 1/2 cup mashed banana
- 1/2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg, beaten lightly
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda dissolved in 1 tablespoon warm water
- 2/3 cup all-purpose whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups of old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/4 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup dried sour cherries or dried cranberries
- 1/8 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/8 cup chopped almonds
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Combine the banana with the brown sugar in a large bowl and beat in the egg, the baking soda mixture, the flour, the salt, and the vanilla. Stir in the oats, the apricots, raisins, cherries (or cranberries), walnuts, and almonds and combine the dough well.
- Drop rounded tablespoons of the dough about 4 inches apart onto greased baking sheets. We like to leave them as cookie balls, but you can also flatten them out.
- Bake the cookies in batches in the middle of a preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes, or until they are golden brown on the bottom.
- Transfer them to racks and allow them to cool.
These cookies are a very healthy and nutrient packed alternative to traditional oatmeal raisin cookies, and they are super yummy. Make some up to keep around as a healthy snack, or serve them up at your next party or gathering! What do you think of this recipe?